- Did you know Earth Day was first celebrated on 22nd April,1970 that is exact 50 years ago. For me, it was the big surprise as I had never heard about it before 22nd April,2020 ( I guess thats because of weak General Knowledge).The purpose was to mark down our roles & awareness in protecting this planet but when I look in bigger picture its a role we have failed to perform in last 5 decades, inactions lead where nature started protesting & climate change started showing every where in the world than came a VIRUS that at a blink of eye stopped all human activities no car, no planes, no factories. At a time where the word POSITIVE has a very scary connotation, Nature showed us the positive side of this deadly pandemic. The lockdown is healing the earth. The result looks like this –
Camels have returned to Toronto on the sea shore first time ever since 1902.
Thousands of birds have returned to Capetown, South Africa playing chirping collectively.
This is a video shooted in Rishikesh, India where the water of River Ganga has become clean & clear for which Government of India was spending crores of funds.
The above Pink Flamingo was noticed in Mumbai, India- a record of 1.5 lakhs of flamingo made there way to the city’s wetlands this year. Experts say this is a 25% increase in the number as compared to past year. They have turned Mumbai into a new Pink City.
The corona virus pandemic has have a magical impact on Earth & has hit a much needed pause button on human activity and nature is having a blast without us.
So if someone ask me whether the Pandemic is healing our planet, I would say YES. But I would like to ask question –
- How long will this healing process last?
- Will it all be undone the moment the lockdown is lifted?
This period has taught us to share space to consume only what we really need , to lead a simpler life.
- Which of these lessons shall we keep with us Post Lockdown?
- Will we make sustainable choices,learn to co-exist?
Accept the fact that we don’t own this planet. Stop the global wildlife trade. Every year we come across various summit held for climate change discussion with plans & strategy but none made a difference. It took a pandemic to restore some kind of stability & ironically there where no strategy or plans for it.
Hollow words & Pledges makes no difference unless each one of us does our bit.